This blog post is pobably going to consist of several random things and a whole lot of spelling errors as I’m actually laying in bed, thumb-typing with my iPhone. Why, yes, I am aware that it’s 9:20 and very few self-respecting adults under the age of, oh, 85 are actually sleeping right now. But, allergies know no age and mine are being especially cruel to me. Plus, let’s just be honest – Laying in bed is comfortable. If I were sitting downstairs on the couch, I’d be doing the exact same thing but would have the TV on at the same time. Not any less lazy, just lazy with better PR.
So…here are a few of my observations lately:
1) 2Ls are awesome. I’m sure this is not always the case but the ones that I have met so far are extremely nice, helpful and very mentor-like. The particular 2Ls I’ve met have prepped Ducks on what to expect, given the lowdown on professors, etc, etc. Maybe it’s just because their first year is still so fresh on their minds that they’re willing to provide fonts of useful information, but it’s been very helpful and reassuring to him. So, if you’re in school now or planning to be, go find a nice 2L and get some advice. Both the students Ducks has talked with didn’t know him at all before their first meeting (one is Kate’s lovely boyfriend and the other I met while doing some JL volunteer work) but they both treated like an old friend and took him under their mentoring wings.
Okay, enough about that – now some interesting stuff.
2) I really don’t know how I married a man who doesn’t like cheese. Seriously. When we met up with one of the 2Ls for dinner on Friday, we went to an Italian place. Ducks ordered beef ravioli and he didn’t finish all his food (which is kind of rare because he is pretty tall and works out a lot). Afterward, I asked him why he didn’t finish it and he said, “it had too much cheese.” To which I responded, “Are we speaking the same language here?” But then, cheese is one of my food downfalls. I am pretty sure I have never uttered the phrase “too much cheese” in my life.
3) I won a Twitter contest today!!!!!!! I probably shouldn’t talk about this and try to keep up the pretence of anonymity but I just don’t even care – I was so excited. My alma mater gave away some football tickets on Twitter and I won them – wahoo!
4) I never realized the extreme lure of fire for tiny people. For drunk people maybe (one of Ducks’ college roommates got severe burns from thinking that walking in a fire was a fantastic idea – after all, he was obviously way tougher than some expletive-expletive fire. Yeah…. Not so much). But when we went to my friend Mandee’s birthday party this weekend, her little cousins spent at least two hours throwing grass, leaves, twigs and other flammable materials into the firepit, really with no goal in mind but to watch conflagrations of sparks fly upward. They were at least an hour and a half into their endeavor before they even considered the possibility of making smores. Pretty sure that would have ranked way higher on my campfire priority list. But they were cute.
5) Looking at my DVR list makes me very sad. Why? Because there are about 47 different shows sitting on there just waiting to be watched. But, there’s no one available to do the watching. Shawn Spencer’s psychic powers are on hold, no one’s getting chopped and Michael Scott is desperately holding in a “That’s what she said” somewhere out there in DVR world. But, alas, I’m too busy and plan to remain so with the beginning of college football this week…yes!
Because every numbered list needs a multiple of five or some reasonable other parameter, I’ll stop here. And actually go to sleep instead of typing away. Night! 😉