No, not real work. Obviously. Personal trainer/gym work. As promised to my pal Melissa @ Duoly Noted, here’s the workout we did at the trainer last night. I am proud to say that even though I was dragging at the end, I did successfully complete every single step of the workout.
Step 1: Warm Up
- 30 seconds jumping jacks
- 30 seconds front straddle hops (video here in case you are not familiar with this term)
- 30 seconds squats
- 30 seconds push ups
- 30 seconds left side lunge stretch (video)
- 30 seconds right side lunge stretch
Legally Married commentary: None really. Except that our usual trainer was doing a one-on-one personal training session today so we had the male trainer. She is a lot more encouraging, whereas he did a lot more correcting/shouting.
Step 2: Planks (yes, the workout demon of planks)
- 30 seconds left side plank. Without resting, switch to
- 30 seconds front plank. Without resting, switch to
- 30 seconds right side plank. Without resting, switch to
- 30 seconds swivel crunch. I don’t know exactly how to describe this, but basically — lay flat, lift your back and feet from the ground so that you are balancing only on your butt. Swivel at waist, trying to hit ground with hands on each side.
Repeat all three times through without rest.
Legally Married commentary: These are the devil. I can’t do all of it consecutively without rest, so the instructions above are what the trainer says to do, not what I am actually capable of. Also, apparently from the yelling, it’s very important for your heels to be directly on top of one another.
Step 3: Alternating push ups and jump roping
- Do 20 full push ups. Touch your chest to the ground and lift your hands from the ground. Then raise yourself. That’s one. Repeat 20 times.
- Successfully jump rope 40 times.
Repeat 5 times through.
Legally Married commentary: These push-ups were extremely difficult. They took me a long time. L, who dominates as regular man-style push ups, wasn’t able to do them well either. The jump roping was AWESOME though. I actually got a compliment from the trainer on my jump rope skills. Which is kind of miraculous when you consider how long it took me to earn the 75-in-a-row sticker in first grade PE. I think it must be because I do the stationery bike a lot, so my calf muscles are fierce. 😉
Step 4: Alternating sprints/backpedalling
- Sprint 100 yards. When you reach the end of the sprint, immediately begin to
- Backpedal 100 yards. (which is just a fancy word for run backwards)
Repeat 5 times through.
Legally Married commentary: Not much. I was very schadenfreude -ish during the sprints because I noticed that the chick in the triathlon t-shirt was struggling. So, that made me feel better about myself. And, I end up getting mad at myself during these workouts because I do exercise frequently and I was a really good athlete in high school, so I feel like I should do better than I am. But, the trainer did tell me that he liked me because I worked hard. Which, I take to mean that he noticed I was very sweaty and red-faced and thought a compliment might keep me from passing out.
And, that’s the whole workout.
I’d be interested to hear how you guys work out, if you want to share. Also, I made Ducks do some planks last night. He’s disgustingly good at them. And at the swivel thing. Typical.
PS Don’t forget to click to Holy Turf and get some football knowledge. The contest runs through until Nov. 3 – so stay click-y, my friends. 🙂 And I’ll post the contest tonight, once that I go shopping for a prize today at lunch!